Final Evaluation - Whole Project Evaluation

 

Final Evaluation – Whole Project Evaluation:

This evaluation will be where I evaluate this project as a whole, I will cover the problems I faced and how I overcame them, how feedback from others was useful, how the project challenged me and demonstrated my skills and finally, I will discuss how I think I have met the grading criteria.

Problems I have faced:

One of the first problems I faced after we were given our brief was thinking of a theme that could work for everyone and all of the different discipline and I overcame this problem by doing research on each of my ideas and then I used this research to evaluate how each theme would work for each discipline and I gave examples of this when presenting my initial ideas for the theme of the calendar.

The next problem I faced was when I was doing research on my selected zodiac sign, as the zodiac is so old, finding reliable information can often be hard so to prevent finding any incorrect information, I checked multiple sources and if information was repeated in different sources, then it has a higher chance of being reliable.

The next problem I faced was when I began my practical work, I was unable to create a face cast of my model due to the amount of materials needed to do so which means I wasn’t sure if the prosthetics would fit my models face when sculpting so I was constantly measuring my sculpts and my models face to make sure they would fit because if they were too big or too small then it would be obvious it’s makeup and the prosthetics wouldn’t fit the face correctly.


Then, the prosthetics didn’t lay flat against the face when I practiced the makeup, to solve this problem I carved out the back of the prosthetics so that they fit the face better rather than the back of the prosthetics being flat. I then used some extra silicone to fill in any gaps if this was needed to help blend the prosthetics into the skin.

Finally, the biggest problem I faced during this project was COVID-19, to resolve this problem I had taken extra safety precautions to ensure the safety of myself, my model, and also other people in the room, this included the photographer. I used the health and safety skills that are always used when creating a makeup look such as using the cut away method to prevent contaminating all of the other makeup and an organized space which also prevents contamination of products, but I also followed government guidelines by wearing a medical grade mask and visor while completing my makeup and social distancing from other makeup stations. My model and I had both tested negative for COVID-19 before completing any practical work and I disinfected everything touched to prevent any bacteria growing.

Feedback:

Feedback from others was very helpful as it allowed me to develop in my theory work, design work and practical work. This feedback helped me develop my design work as it meant that I had input from others about what they thought would work and why they thought it would work, feedback also helped me develop as it gave people the opportunity to say what they liked or disliked about my theory, design, or practical work and why.

Feedback from others allowed others to evaluate my work and say what I did well and how it fit the grading criteria and how it fit the theme of the calendar, for example, that my research was in depth, relevant, and from a range of sources. This also meant that people could tell me what I didn’t do as well and how to improve this, for example, during my practice makeup the paint was a bit patchy so to improve this I could add another layer of paint to even it out and prevent the inconsistencies showing up on camera.

Finally, getting feedback from others can give you ideas you hadn’t thought of or see things from an outside perspective which can be extremely helpful for projects like this as it is being made from nothing and there’s nothing like a script or director to give you a foundation for your ideas.

How this project challenged me:

This project challenged me in lots of different ways, for example, creating a look from scratch. Creating the look was a challenge for me as there were so many possibilities for things that could’ve been added to this look that meant it was hard to narrow it down to a few elements, being completely in control means that there’s no foundation for creating these ideas.

As this is a group project, it needs to be cohesive and work for everyone, this challenged me as the theme needed to work for everyone and cover each discipline which is often hard as the different disciplines can be so varied, for example, editorial and prosthetic based looks needed to be able to be created from this theme and often we think quite selfishly and think about ourselves and how it will work for us before thinking about how it could work for others so when I thought of some interesting themes, they wouldn’t have worked for other people who were doing editorial looks.


I used a lot of prosthetics on the face and this challenged me as I don’t have much experience making and applying prosthetics, this meant that this was a challenge as there was a lot of prosthetics which means I had to sculpt, create and apply lots of prosthetics, all of my prosthetics were also unique which means that if I was unable to create my prosthetics, I would have to change my design as I wouldn’t be able to buy some premade ones.

One of the final ways this project challenged me was working with the photographer, I have created editorial looks and used photography techniques previously and I have created makeup looks for stage and short films but this was my first time working with a photographer, thankfully he had lots of experience so he was able to guide me if I was unsure on some things but I still wanted to be prepared so I did some research into photography which gave me a huge insight into what would be expected of me and this helped when communicating with him what I wanted my final photo to look like.


How this project allowed me to demonstrate my skills:

This project game me the opportunity to demonstrate lots of skills, for example, communication skills. I had lots of chances to demonstrate my communication skills throughout this project, the first opportunity was when I used my communication skills to present my initial ideas for the theme of the calendar, then when we were discussing the timeline as a group, next when I used my communication skills during my initial makeup ideas presentation, my next opportunity was when I presented my developed ideas and explained how my experimentation has affected this. My next opportunity was when I asked to have a production meeting about the calendar to discuss the size and background ideas for the final product and then used my communication skills when I had a meting with the photographer to discuss what backgrounds, lighting and poses I was hoping for. Finally, I demonstrated my communication skills by speaking to my model while I was practicing my makeup and again when I was completing my final makeup as I spoke to her to make sure she felt safe and comfortable.

I was given the opportunity to demonstrate my professionalism, for example, researching photography before my meeting with the photographer and then using my knowledge and being prepared for my meeting with the photographer shows professionalism, along with remaining professional throughout the whole project by being prepared, managing my time and being organized.

Health and safety are very important, especially as were in a pandemic and I was given lots of opportunities to demonstrate my health and safety skills, for example, I followed government guidelines by social distancing when sculpting and creating my prosthetics, I also social distanced from other makeup bays when practicing my makeup and completing my final makeup. While completing my practice and final makeups, I wore a mask and visor and disinfected everything that was touched. I also had a clean and organized makeup bay to prevent contamination of any products and I used the cut away method to prevent contamination of products and to prevent extra bacteria getting into the makeup pots. Finally, I had my model bring her own mascara as if a mascara is used by someone and the brush is put back into the pot, it can’t be used on anyone else as this can risk eye infections, this is also the reason I bought a new liquid eyeliner that I let my model keep.


I demonstrated my time management skills throughout the whole project as I created a timeline at the beginning of the project, and I have used this timeline to plan my weeks and this timeline was followed which demonstrates my time management skills and following my final timeline which was created based on the time taken to practice my makeup is also a demonstration of good time management skills.



I demonstrated many different practical skills throughout this project, for example, I used alcohol and grease paints rather than aqua paints as aqua paints wouldn’t cover the prosthetics and if my model sweats it would cause inconsistencies in the aqua paints, the prosthetics are another way of demonstrating my practical skills as I sculpted, created and applied the prosthetics. Most of my practical skills can be seen in my practice makeup, my practice hair and my final look but as my chosen discipline is special effects, this is a special effects look and those techniques are used, for example silicone prosthetics were used and casualty effects were used for the cut around the zip.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Makeup Evaluation

The Tudors and The Restoration Research

1940s Research