Final Makeup Evaluation

 

Final Makeup Write Up:

11th May 2021:

Today, after all of my preparation and hard work, I was finally able to use my practical skills to create my final makeup.

This is my final look:



These are some photos of my process: 


Evaluation:

This makeup translated onto the face really well and looked how I had imagined it; grease and alcohol paints were used which means that the makeup would last longer if needed and there’s no chance of the makeup sweating off like aqua paints would which is very important for this look as any inconsistencies would be very obvious and would ruin the look. The colours were also the colours I had hoped for and the light complimented the colours extremely well.    The hair was also how I had imagined it and the curls weren’t too tight, I had also backcombed the hair so that it helped support the crown during the final photos.

However, some of the edges of the prosthetics weren’t completely blended so they could be seen slightly, my paint didn’t cling to the edges very much which helped to camouflage the edges slightly, using more silicone could help blend these edges better. From my practice, I had realized that the eyebrow prosthetics would be very hard to blend so I used some extra silicone to fill in the gaps which helped blend them and this prevented the gaps under the prosthetics. Some of the paint was also patchy but I applied another coat of paint to help eliminate this problem and I contoured the face to prevent the lights causing the face to appear flat on camera as there was no contrast used in the lighting to help with this, so the makeup needed to complete this completely.

From my practice makeup, I developed some skills and I had changed the ways of completing certain elements of the makeup to prevent problems that occurred during my practice. For example, I used the bright blue when painting the cheeks, eyebrows, and neck but then I used a very thin detail brush to add a darker shade of blue in the centre of this to help accentuate the contours of these prosthetics and prevent the details looking to painted on. Finally, I added a thin layer of silicone to the back of the zip which prevented the ProsAide soaking through the zip and this meant that it was more secure.

The crown didn’t need to be on very long as it’s being photographed so it doesn’t need to be secured to the head, the zip being unable to open is also less inconvenient as it will be removed after the photographs and it won’t be attached to the face for a prolonged amount of time. Finally, for these reasons, the glycerin over the silicone tears won’t be on very long which means the risk of it running will cause less problems than if this would be used in a film.

When I was completing this final makeup, I demonstrated good health and safety skills as I had a clean and organized makeup bay, I also used the cut away method to make sure that no product was becoming contaminated. The makeup needs to be set out completely to prevent tripping hazards caused by bags on the floor and it's effective for the speed of completing the makeup as you won't need to keep getting products out of your makeup kit. Finally, I showed good communication skills by talking to my model and making sure she felt safe and comfortable, and I followed government guidelines by wearing a mask and visor when working. For health and safety reasons, grease paints were used around the eyes to prevent IPA getting in the eyes which can be very dangerous, and the zip wasn’t opened to prevent any nipping of the sensitive skin on the face.


When completing this makeup, I used my time management skills extremely well and I followed my timeline, however, applying the prosthetics had taken longer than I had expected but this was because I spent a long time blending them and positioning them correctly, when creating my timeline, I hadn’t taken into consideration the time needed to paint the body which means that the look had taken longer than expected. Apart from these aspects, I followed my timeline exactly which is another example of my time management skills.

Peer Assessment: Drew

Drew said that my look translated really well onto the face and I demonstrated good practical skills throughout as well as health and safety. She also said that my prosthetics fit really well on the face and the paint work was even which was a huge improvement from my practice makeup, however, the edges of my prosthetics could be blended more to prevent them being seen and the face could’ve been powdered slightly more as some areas were slightly shiny.

I agreed with Drew's feedback and I appreciated the outside input of another makeup artist. 

The Photography Process:

Before my look was photographed, the photographer had my model sit down and I used my communication skills when we discussed the lighting I was hoping for. He asked how much contrast I wanted, if any, and that he thinks no contrast would be better to prevent shadows on any areas of my makeup which is very helpful to capture all of the details and if needed, he could add some contrast into the photos during the editing process.

He also said that holding a reflector under the face will help the light reach under the chin without setting up another light and this will help capture the details under the chin and help to compliment my look really well as the light will be distributed evenly. The photographer had me hold this at different angles and at different distances from the chin to see which accentuated the neck prosthetic the most.

He also said that he can edit the photos for me to even the colour across the face in the areas that needed it, he also said he could add some contrast to prevent the face looking flat. finally, we discussed that the lighting meant we had some highlights on the hair and crown as well as the face.

Finally, we started to discuss which looks would compliment this look while we were photographing the look and we experimented with different positions. Due to the style of my makeup and the result of my final look, we discussed which positions would complement this best, this is when he mentioned that photographers usually photograph people of power from bellow with them looking upwards as this is a very powerful position and gives the impression that they are superior so he thought this would be the best position for this look. We had my model have her hands on the crown and then he also took some photos with her hands on her hair to help distinguish the difference between the crown and the hands a lot easier.

Before finishing this process, I used my communication skills to confirm that I would like my background to be CGI and it would be a stormy theme to fit with the theme of my whole project. I then thanked him for all of the time and effort that he is putting into this so that my work can look the best it can for this calendar. I also thanked him for explaining each step of the photography process as this is the first time I have worked with a professional photographer, for example, he explained that he had my model hold up a color card in front of her face so that he could compare it to the makeup when editing the photos.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tudors and The Restoration Research

1940s Research