Final Preparations

 

Final Preparations:

29th April 2021:

Today I created my final design, my practice of the makeup allowed me to see what needed changing and what worked well on the face. When I created this design I considered my own skills, the practice, my research, the audience and that it's for a calendar. This is my final design:

For my final design I decided to change some elements slightly, I changed the mouth to have a cut around the zip, this helps the zip blend into the skin a lot better and it will help to include some elements of casualty effects which is what I'm best at, I still wanted to have the contrast of the red skin and bright blue so the zips blue, I’ve decided to attach an actual zip rather than a prosthetic zip for ease and because there’s already so many prosthetics on the face but a nylon zip will be used to reduce the chance of nipping that a metal zip could provide. After some experimentation, I really liked the way the blue for the cheeks and eyebrows as well as the neck, it contrasted the red and helped break up the red so that it’s not overwhelming and it helps to create some definition that could’ve been lost in the light when photographed.

As this is for a calendar, I didn’t want to use wax for any of the sfx work as I didn’t want to risk the chance of it melting under the lights or moving during the process, I decided that silicone prosthetics would be best because I prefer working with it over latex and there’s no latex bald cap that could possibly melt.

This means that alcohol paints would be used to paint it, but a grease paint the shade as the alcohol paint would be used around the eyes as it could be dangerous to put alcohol paint this close to the eyes, and they won’t come off if my model starts to sweat like aqua paints would.

The edges would also need to be seamless to prevent them showing up on camera, this will also prevent the paint sticking to the edges and making it obvious that it’s makeup, and it will all have to be powdered to prevent any shine from the prosthetics causing inconsistencies in the makeup and it will prevent the lights making the makeup appear distorted. The prosthetics have also been carved out in the middle to allow them to sit on the face flatter and this will make it easier to blend the edges into the skin and further prevent the problems that could occur by having visible edges.

I also traced a photograph of my model while creating this design so that I could get a better understanding of how this would translate onto my models face and the proportions of her face in comparison to the prosthetics and positions of the prosthetics.

4th May 2021:

Today I had some final preparations to complete, these included practicing the hair with the crown and writing a final timeline for creating my makeup. These are the photos from when I practiced the hair:



Practicing the hair with the crown was very important before completing my final look, however, my model wasn’t available today, so I demonstrated problem solving skills by using someone else who had a similar length and thickness hair as my model. When I practiced the look, the hair wasn’t voluminous enough so when I practiced it with the crown, I backcombed it to give it some more volume, this was very important around the top of the head to prevent the gap between the head and the crown. When I complete my final look, I may backcomb it slightly more underneath to give it more volume, I may also have my model pose while holding my crown to prevent it moving. During this practice, I tried putting the crown in different positions to see which I liked the most, and I also tried wrapping some of the hair around the crown, which helped secure the crown slightly, however, I didn’t really like this very much as it made the hair look slightly messy and I think it will be too much to look at when I create my final look. I have already discussed with the photographer trying a few different poses to see which compliments my look the best so I will move the crown if needed, this is why I didn’t want it to secure to the head, but my favourite positions were my model holding the crown and the crown sitting directly in the centre of the head.

As this is for a calendar, I also made sure to tame the stray hairs as much as possible to prevent the light picking up on them and making the hair look messy on camera.

When I completed this hairstyle, I demonstrated good health and safety skills by following the government guidelines and wearing a mask while completing the hair and social distancing from other makeup bays, I also demonstrated good organizational skills by having a clean and tidy makeup area, the products need to be set out completely to prevent tripping hazards caused by bags on the floor and it's effective for the speed of completing the hair as you won't need to keep getting products out of your kit  Finally, I also demonstrated good communicational skills by speaking to my model and making her feel comfortable.

Then I created my final timeline for creating my look, I considered the products used, the prosthetics, lighting, health and safety, the audience, and that it’s for a calendar. This timeline demonstrated good organizational skills and excellent time management skills as everything is planned and timed based on my makeup practice, this also gave me confidence as I know exactly what I need to do for my final look and that I will have enough time to complete the look and I was realistic with the timings:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Makeup Evaluation

The Tudors and The Restoration Research

1940s Research